Oklahoma Higher Education Campus E-Clips sponsored by the Communicators Council

May-June-July 2017

UCO Celebrates Reopening of Historic Old North

Old North on UCO's campus.

The University of Central Oklahoma recently celebrated the reopening of Old North, pictured here, the oldest building on Central’s campus and the first building dedicated to higher learning in Oklahoma.

Nearly 16 years after closing, Old North, the oldest building on the University of Central Oklahoma campus and the first building dedicated to higher learning in Oklahoma, is once again filled with eager students and engaged professors.

“Old North is an important part of Central’s history, and we are thrilled to open its doors once again,” said UCO President Don Betz.

“The opportunity to connect with an instrumental part of Oklahoma’s higher education system is a privilege, and we are fortunate to be able to share that connection with the surrounding community.”

The construction of Old North began in 1891 with Gail Whitely, the architect who designed the building. Students first attended classes in the building in January of 1893, with construction on the wings and tower of the building completed in 1894. More than a century later, in 2001, Old North was closed for much-needed renovations.

Restoration and renovations spanned three phases. The first phase targeted an exterior restoration, while the second phase focused on the construction of a 17,000-square-foot addition to the building. The third phase resolved structural and interior problems, as well as incorporated new designs and elements to the structure’s interior. CMS Willowbrook served as construction manager on the project, and Miles Associates as the architect.

The total cost for the restoration and renovation totaled $14.4 million, with nearly $6 million in private donations raised for the final phase of Old North’s completion. The building, which now includes approximately 44,000 square feet, serves as office, classroom and gathering space for students, faculty and staff across campus. Old North also houses UCO’s Office of the President, Office of Public Affairs and Office of Student Affairs.

“As Central begins it 127th year as an institution of higher education, the opening of Old North symbolizes our efforts to remain a steadfast and vital part of the growth, development and success of our state,” Betz added.

For more information about how to connect to Central, visit www.uco.edu.

Campus E-Clips is published by the Communicators Council, an advisory group to the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education comprised of Oklahoma higher education public information officers. All stories are submitted to a review panel of council members for editing and selection. To submit a story, please contact the participating council member from your institution. Stories must meet newsletter submission guidelines. Click here to view the Guidelines. For additional information, email newsletter@osrhe.edu. Site hosted by the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education. Disclaimer